Mommy and boys

Introducing Cruz Keller Hinson!

Yawn…what day is it?  This post will be short, but I wanted to update everyone.  We are so excited to announce the arrival of Cruz Keller Hinson!

Last Saturday Keller, Cole, Will, Papa, and I went to the Canyons Ski Resort to watch a pond skimming competition.  It’s something they do every year and people who enter the competition dress up in costumes and then either ski or snowboard down a hill and try to skim across a pond as far as they can make it.  We didn’t have the best view, there were lots of people.

We came home after and I was so tired I went to take a nap.  During my nap I started having contractions.  They were about the same intensity as I’d had a couple weeks before so I didn’t really think anything of it.  That night we went to my sister Michelle’s to watch her kids and have a slumber party.  My contractions stayed pretty steady and slowly got a little more intense.  That night I couldn’t sleep at all, by 5am the contractions were so bad I had to keep getting out of bed to try and breathe through them.  Keller woke up feeling me get out of bed every 5 minutes.  I tried to take a bath to see if it would help, it didn’t and they got more intense and closer together.  So we headed to the hospital about 7am.  When I got there I was dilated to a 3 1/2 and the nurse said I was there to stay.  They started my IV so I could get an epidural.  Contractions suck PS!  When the IV bag emptied, they called the anesthesiologist.  He gave me the epidural and it started to work…but only on one side.  They tried having me lay on the side it wasn’t working to see if gravity would take the medicine over and waited.  After about 20 minutes, they went to call the anesthesiologist again, but he had been pulled into an emergency c-section.  Soooo…I had to wait an hour until he could come back.  It was a LONG hour.  My contractions were getting stronger and closer and I had progressed to a 5 1/2.  Eventually he did come back and finally I was in drug heaven.  I took a “the epidural is working” picture:

Once my body started to relax, things progressed very quickly.  The next time they checked me I was ready to go.  I pushed for a total of 1 minute and 30 seconds, that’s how ready he was!  Cruz was born at 12:40pm.  He was 7 pounds 2 ounces and 18.5 inches long.  My heart melted, Keller’s heart melted, I had forgotten how amazing that moment is when you meet your baby for the first time.

Big brother Cole fell in love instantly with his baby brother.

We were in the hospital for 3 nights…usually it’s 2, but Cruz’s body temperature was a little low so they did some blood tests and found a possible infection or inflammation.  The hospital pediatrician recommended 48 hours of antibiotics.  So I was actually discharged on Tuesday, but stayed in a “boarding” room the last night so I could be there and breastfeed.  We were soooooo happy to go home Wednesday!

The first night was a little rough.  Cruz was up from midnight to 6.  We found out the next day at the dr that I was starving him!  I am not a producer of milk, I wasn’t with Cole and apparently it’s happening again.  She gave us a ready made Enfamil formula bottle and Cruz sucked it down so fast, it was hilarious.  Poor kid!  The next night was 100 times better.  He gave us two 4 hour stints and it was fabulous.  Then the next night not so fabulous, then the next better.  I’m sure it will be like that for a little while until we can get a good schedule.  On another note, he does like baths…especially his shark head towel.

Daddy decided Cruz could be a stunt double for Dobby the Elf…too bad they aren’t making any more Harry Potter movies!

I had a breakthrough on Saturday, after not sleeping for the past 5 nights and pretty much crying everyday for no reason just because I was exhausted, I realized I had to start taking care of myself.  Still trying to have that connection with Cruz, I was nursing, then pumping while someone else fed him a bottle.  This process was literally taking anywhere from an hour to two depending on how long it took to try and keep him awake enough to eat.  My entire day pretty much consisted of feeding.  I was exhausted!  So with some words of wisdom from my loving husband, I realized it was time to stop breastfeeding and just focus on pumping.   Already I can tell a difference, not only am I seeing that my poor child was nursing for absolutely nothing, like literally pumping every 3 hours I was making maybe 2 ounces every 12 hours…maybe, but I’m not spending my entire day and NIGHT feeding him.

But despite everything…this little pumpkin and absolute blessing is worth anything and everything.  I feel so lucky to have him!

I’ll do my best to get back to my normal blogging as soon as possible.

© 2012, Fire Lites Fire. All rights reserved.

3 thoughts on “Introducing Cruz Keller Hinson!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>